We are just coming off of four days (and nights) with my daughter’s children (ages 11, 9, 6 and 2). Needless to say, I have been in recovery mode for the last two days. Layna, the two-year-old, is especially active. She’s adorable, but she will wear you out.
Layna has a thing for cats. You may or may not remember that my husband Bob and I have a serious No More Pet Pact. This was enacted after roughly 35 years of pet ownership. We simply don’t want to be bothered with them anymore. However, since our son and his wife have temporarily moved in with us, and they have a cat, we’ve had to relax the rule.
Layna could not be more excited about spending time with the cat. Her poor daddy is highly allergic to them; and after observing her with one, day in and day out, I think they have an effect on her as well. While she doesn’t break out in a rash or have trouble breathing, she does become very hyper and (for lack of a better word) “catish.” As for the cat, he’s a nervous wreck. I think he may be developing an ulcer.
By the end of our time watching the kids, it had become difficult to tell the difference between Layna and the cat. For example:
- A cat wants to go in and out all day, so does Layna.
- A cat walks on all fours, so does Layna.
- A cat meows, so does Layna – in fact she does more than the cat.
- A cat’s babies are called kittens. Layna folds her blankie up like a little package and says it’s her baby. When asked if it’s a girl or boy, she replies, “It’s a meow.”
- A cat will get up on the table when you aren’t looking. Layna will, too.
- A cat eats its food from a bowl without the use of hands. Yep, you guessed it – Layna does, too.
- A cat uses the litter box in the bathroom to go pee-pee. Layna is happy to take her diaper off and go pee-pee in the shower.
- If a cat is trapped in a room behind a closed door, you can often see its paws protruding from beneath the door. Layna does that, too (only her paws are called hands).
- A cat is easily occupied by chasing a red laser light around the room. That keeps Layna busy, too.
- A cat will sleep 16 hours a day. If only Layna would, too!